HELP US TO HELP YOU
UNITED WE STAND
Safety And Resourcing Campaign
South Australian Metropolitan Fire Service (SAMFS) firefighters place their lives at significant risk as first responders and rely upon properly funded, provisioned and maintained MFS appliances, training and equipment resources for their safety and protection and that of the community.
- EMERGENCY SERVICES FUNDING HAS BEEN CUT OVER LAST 10 YEARS
- MFS DEFUNDED AT LEAST 4 TIMES IN LAST 10 YEARS
- WE DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH SPARE APPLIANCES
- KEELTY REVIEW (2019) SAYS ‘SIGNIFICANT INVESTMENT IS NEEDED TO MODERNISE OR REPLACE THE AGEING FLEET’
- SEVERE LACK OF APPROPRIATE EQUIPMENT
- REGIONAL AREAS SIGNIFICANTLY AFFECTED BY OLD AND AGEING APPLIANCES
- REGIONAL TRUCKS AND CREWS HAVE INSUFFICIENT LIFE-SAVING EQUIPMENT
- ALL APPLIANCES NEED TO BE FITTED WITH BURNOVER PROTECTION SYSTEMS
- MFS ADMITS 26 NEW APPLIANCES NEEDED IN THE NEXT 2 YEARS
- MARSHALL GOVERNMENT SAYS IT WILL BUILD ONLY 9 OVER THE NEXT 4 YEARS
- ENGINEERING WORKSHOP UNDER STAFFED
- NO FUNDING FOR REDUCTION OF DIESEL EMISSIONS EXPOSURE
THE UFUSA CALLS FOR:
- LONG-TERM RECURRENT FUNDING AT THE APPROPRIATE LEVEL
- ASSET MANAGEMENT THROUGH A LONG-TERM RISK BASED ASSET MANAGEMENT PLAN FOCUSED ON THE SAFETY
HELP US TO HELP YOU:
UFUSA Safety And Resourcing Campaign
The UFUSA has a long and proud history of advocating for the provision of properly funded and improved resources with the support of the MFS.
Our Resource Campaign is about seeking to redress this underfunding and impress upon the Marshall State Government the urgent need for proper funding of SAMFS appliances, equipment, training, resourcing and support. Our campaign actions encompass political, public, and industrial campaigning to achieve our objective of addressing these severe inadequacies. Delegations of firefighters are currently visiting local MPs in their electorate offices to explain why this Resourcing Campaign is so critical for the safety of the South Australian public and for firefighters and the MFS
In July 2019 the UFUSA surveyed members ahead of enterprise bargaining negotiations with resourcing identified by members as a key issue.
Since the start of negotiations in October 2019 the MFS and SA Government has persistently obstructed all the UFUSA’s attempts to put resourcing on the table for discussion.
So, after almost a year of very difficult negotiations, UFUSA members unanimously resolved on 28 October 2020 to commence industrial action in support of improved funding, appliances, resourcing, training and equipment.
SA Firefighters and Ambos need your help to ensure you are kept safe. Help us to send a clear message to the Marshall Government that urgent funding is desperately needed.
United We Stand
Safety and Resource campaign update March 2021
- Attention is now clearly focussed on safety and resourcing issues.
- Some additional funding has recently been brought forward which we would not otherwise have. It’s not guaranteed funding though and it’s still not enough to halt the downward spiral.
- The emergency services sector is now discussing an asset management ‘framework’ because of our union’s actions.
- The public and the media are now becoming aware of the risk that the Marshall government is prepared to assume on their behalf and they’re not having it.
- Over 9,000 people have signed our Safety & Resourcing Campaign petition. Please sign here. And urge everyone you know to do likewise.
- The Marshall government has gone from sneering at our campaign to attacking us and running away while sitting on the 2019 Independent MFS Expenditure Review Report.
- Our union members are engaging in discussions with many politicians who are supporting our campaign and are assisting us in holding the Marshall government to account.
- Ambos are also fed up with the Marshall government putting their health and safety and that of the public at risk daily. Download the petition here. or collect it from our office.
- Firies and Ambos linked arms and joined together in solidarity at a rally on 1 April 2021, assembling at 12 noon in Victoria Square and then marching to Parliament House.
- We were joined by other workers such as doctors, nurses, construction and power industry workers along with community groups.
Your support is vital to the success of our Campaign. We are connected through social media so it would be great if you can follow us on Facebook, show your support and encourage your family and friends as well.
Also please feel free to access these links below for additional information.
Funding And Personnel Cuts
Engineering, Equipment And Training
What The SA Community Is Saying About Firefighter Safety & Resourcing
Help Us To Help You
Thank you for Supporting the United Firefighters Union of SA Safety and Resourcing Campaign.
By writing to your local State Member of Parliament and requesting their support, you will make a difference.
To assist you, feel free to download a form letter which may be used as a template. If you are not sure of your State Electorate or your State Member of Parliament, please see the instructions below which may also assist you.
Please click here to take you to the website where you can simply enter your address and it tells you what Electoral district you are in.
Once having found your electorate, you can click here to locate your Member of Parliament and their contact details.
Write To Your MP
Write To Your MP
In the absence of a satisfactory response from the employer to the matters in dispute and to fight for an enterprise agreement outcome that makes sure this can’t happen again, industrial actions will escalate from tomorrow Friday, 22 October 2021 at 08:00 hours.